Rich People Who Were Born PoorLast Revised on June 17, 2010
Love Your Health Money Family & Relationship
Ever wondered if the famous rich people you hear about a lot were whether born poor or rich? It turns out in the last century and few decades, most of of the millionaires or billionaires were rather self-made. They didn’t have the money and luxury they have now when they were born to their parents. Of course, some of them did get help from their parents but they add more values to the assets and properties and thus became rich.
But here we won’t be talking about the people who inherited wealth from their parents/ancestor. We will be discussing the rags to riches story; list of poor people who became rich:
1. Roman Abramovich is an Oil and aluminum tycoon who is worth $11.2 billion. Steel tycoonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s parents both died by the time he was 4 years old. He was raised by relatives. After brief stretch in Soviet military, sold plastic ducts from his apartment. Participated in controversial Russian oil export deals before taking over oil outlet Sibneft in 1995. Flipped it to Russia’s Gazprom for $13 billion a decade later. Bought stake in steel giant Evraz. Soccer fan owns U.K.’s Chelsea club; also worldÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s biggest yacht. Divorced twice, had his sixth child with his girlfriend in December.
2. John Paul DeJoria got $4 billion. Ever heard the name Paul Mitchell? Yes, he is the con-founder of this popular hair brand products. Once sold cards and newspapers to help support his single mother. She later sent him to foster care when she couldnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t support him. Homeless for a time, living in his car and pushing hair care products door-to-door. With $700 cofounded own line of hair care products, John Paul Mitchell Systems, in 1980. Later pioneered high-end tequila market with Patron distillery. Launched ultra-posh Ultimat vodka line last year. Now frequents red carpet events, flashing peace sign for paparazzi.
3. Leonardo Del Vecchio is the founder of Luxottica eyeglasses and his net worth stands around $10.5 billion. One of five children, he was raised in an orphanage after widowed mother couldnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t support him. Worked in a factory making molds for auto parts, eyeglass frames; severed part of his finger. At age 23 opened own molding shop, making eyeglass frames. Now his Luxottica is worldÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s largest maker of sunglasses and prescription eyewear sold under such brands as Ray-Ban, Oakley. Also operates more than 6,000 retail outlets through Sunglass Hut and LensCrafters shops.
5. Larry Ellison is the genius person behind the success of Oracle software company and his wealth is close to $28 billion. His single teenage mother who gave birth to Ellison in the Bronx sent him to live in Chicago with his aunt and uncle, who later adopted him. He dropped out of college reportedly after his adoptive mother died. Founded Oracle in 1977, now one of the world’s biggest software companies. Got $130 million pay package in 2009, making him second-highest-paid CEO in the U.S., according to our recent compensation survey. Sailing buff owns mega-yacht and won latest AmericaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Cup.
6. Micky Jagtiani is the creator of Landmark retail empire and he got $2.8 billion in his bank. Failing accounting student dropped out of school to drive a taxi and clean hotel rooms in London. Moved to Bahrain shortly before his only brother died of leukemia. Diabetic father died within months, and mother died of cancer a year later. Family-less at 21, Jagtiani took over brotherÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s retail space in Bahrain and spent his $6,000 inheritance on baby merchandise in 1973. Expanded single store into $2.5 billion (sales) diversified retail empire Landmark.
7. Steve Jobs, will probably be the most famous guy along with Bill Gates. Not because Steve Jobs is the richest person, although he is one of the richest person with his net worth about $5.5 billion, but because he is a co-founder of Apple. Just think iPod and iPhone. San Francisco native was adopted by a working-class couple and grew up in nearby Santa Clara, Calif. Dropped out of Reed College when he couldnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t afford tuition but continued auditing classes. Jobs started Apple computer outlet in parentsÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ garage in 1976. Fired after power struggle 1985. Started Pixar. Returned to Apple 1996. Health of revered chief executive has been scrutinized after he took leave of absence for a liver transplant. Back now, leading continued expansion in music and media through devices and software including iPod, iTunes and new iPad.
8. Li Ka-shing is the head of conglomerates Cheung Kong and Hutchison Whampoa and got $21 billion. Don’t ever assume all the Chinese people are poor. This guy is born to a China nativeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s family who fled to Hong Kong in 1940. Had to quit school at age 15 after his father died of tuberculosis. Worked in a plastics factory to support his family. Li later made plastic flowers to be exported to the U.S. Today runs Cheung Kong and Hutchison Whampoa, massive conglomerates with interests in ports, oil and gas, electricity, retail, telecom and real estate. Generous donor has given out $1.45 billion to education, medical research.
9. Guy LalibertÃƒÂ© is the founder of popular show Cirque du Soleil and is worth $2.5 billion. Acrobat showman started as a stilt-walking, fire-eating street performer. Founded Cirque du Soleil in 1984 with pavement exhibitionist pals. Hit it big when casino mogul Steve Wynn brought act to Las Vegas in 1991. Since then has expanded shows to include themed-versions featuring The Beatles and Elvis. Next up: Michael Jackson shows. Poker guru has won card tournaments; also recorded Web videos from space.
10. J.K. Rowling is the author of Harry Potter book and movie series. She currently has $1 billion but will grow her wealth as she keeps earning royalty fees. While writing wizardry single mother lived on welfare in Edinburgh, Scotland. Broke and depressed, author once told reporters she contemplated suicide. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the SorcererÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Stone was published in 1997 and quickly became a bestseller and the first of a seven-book series that captivated children and adults worldwide. First of films series released in 2001. First six of the magical movies grossed more than $5 billion.
11. Oprah Winfrey is the queen of daytime talk shows. When you are on Oprah show, you know you got something going on in your life – a success. She is worth $2.4 billion. She was born to single teenage mother, but raised by grandmother in a farmland. She has been a victim of child sexual abuse. After her TV talk show success, she started her on studio, O magazine, book club and what not. She is also ready to launch her new Oprah Winfrey Network cable channel.
As always, please feel free to leave suggestions, ask any questions for help or simply discuss the topic. We highly appreciate your involvement and input everyday. If find it helpful, please share it with your friends by using one of the buttons below.
31 Responses to “Rich People Who Were Born Poor”
Any Comments, Solutions, Questions, Reviews or Feedbacks You Have
You must be logged in to post a comment.