How to Get Short Term Car Insurance? In Few Easy StepsLast Revised on July 10, 2013
Love Your Health Money Family & Relationship
It is not only illegal to drive car without a proper car insurance coverage, but you will be taking a huge risk by not getting one. Many people say that even if car insurance is not required by law, they would at least buy a temporary short term car insurance policy; other drivers claim that eventually people end up paying the same amount of money for the auto insurance as they did for the vehicle itself. No matter what type of driver group you fall into, you are in the right place if you are looking to get short term car insurance as you need to learn the basics first. We will guide you with easy to follow steps and share some tips in between.
How to Buy Short term Car Insurance Policy – Step by Step Process
As a driver, you are not only responsible for yourself, but also the passengers and other drivers on the road. If you can’t afford to get permanent insurance or rather need only a short term policy, here are some basics and what you should do:
1. Who usually gets short term car insurance policy? There are many situations where you will need to get such policies without realizing it until the end: cross country vacation in a rental car, hurricane or flood season, temporary ownership of a vehicle, a travel on the road for few days, weeks, and a friend or family member visiting you for a limited time. This is usually how it works as it is more convenient and cheaper way to get full coverage without paying the full term price.
2. Length of Time Period: Since you are looking for short term auto insurance, definitely make a decision about for how long you want that policy coverage for. Usually, a typical car insurance policy is between six months to a year; so anything less than 6 months is considered a short term. As a short term car insurance buyer, you want to base your decision based on your needs which many people forget. Most of the short term car insurance buyers are those who only need the insurance coverage for few days to a month in scenarios like this: you bought a new car but the seller needs you to show a proof of car insurance to take the car home, you are going to use your expensive car just for the day you are going to a party, you won’t be driving this car after a week or two because you are selling it. So decide do you want to the short term car insurance for one day, two weeks, or for few months period of time.
3. Cost of Short Car Term Insurance: you should also know that the price for short term auto insurance is much higher than long term policy. That’s the reason many people who plans to keep the same insurance pay for 6 months or more in advance. But since you want insurance cover on your vehicle for a short period of time, your insurance premium rate will be much higher. So the next step is you decide how much you are willing to pay for, knowing yours will be more expensive than anybody else.
4. Where to Get Short Term Car Insurance: This is probably the easiest steps because there are many insurance companies and agents dying to get new clients for their businesses. Even if you are new driver, a teenager or only want a short-term car insurance, they will accept you. The best place to buy short term car insurance is as follows:
a. Online insurance companies: these online insurance sites like Progressive and eSurance usually have the best deals as far as the cheapest short term car insurance is concerned. This is because they don’t have to pay any commissions and fees to agents and brokers, nor do they have to pay any real estate rent. They are operating their insurance business on the lowest and minimum spending possible; therefore, they don’t need to charge as much money to their clients to make profits like other companies have to do.
b. Neighborhood insurance broker or agent: Your local insurance agent guy or lady also can sell your short term insurance for cheap if you try to negotiate with them.
Regardless of who you go with, be sure to carry and bring your car registration number and driver’s license to them to complete the process without any delay.
5. How much coverage should I get? Most often it will depend on why you are getting a short term insurance on your car to start with. Like we said before, are you getting it just so you have a proof of car insurance or are you getting it so you are covered when getting into auto accident? You shouldn’t have to ask this to yourself as you already know the answer and thus found yourself here. If your answer is the former, then you need to ask the agent for the insurance policy with minimum coverage, liability and maximum deductions that is allowed by your state law. If your reason was the latter, then you need the best coverage including coverage for uninsured and underinsured plus collision repair and medical bills which is considered a full protection, and this will most likely end up costing about as much as getting long term insurance.
6. End of the process: After getting free quotes and choosing the plans and policy, you pay for that insurance. Thereafter, you will receive a confirmation and get your car in the mail or in email depending upon which insurance company you went with.
So as you see, there are some benefits and some drawbacks to getting a short term insurance. The best thing is that you have a choice. Also, remember that A short term car insurance policy will not affect your long term car insurance policy so in the case of an accident nothing will change with your regular insurance premiums and the short term would cover any liability.
As always, please feel free to leave suggestions, ask any questions for help or simply discuss the topic. We highly appreciate your involvement and input everyday. If find it helpful, please share it with your friends by using one of the buttons below.
2 Responses to “How to Get Short Term Car Insurance? In Few Easy Steps”
Any Comments, Solutions, Questions, Reviews or Feedbacks You Have
You must be logged in to post a comment.